The NHL lockout has gone on way too long. I don't know how many of you are abreast of the current situation in the hockey world, but as of right now 526 regular-season games have been cancelled. I go to a school where hockey is a big deal (the biggest deal in terms of sports), and a lot of our players go on to play in the NHL or the AHL, but what happens when there is no NHL - well that makes a college hockey player's dream of playing in the show that much more difficult to reach.
Not only is the situation dire for hockey players though, its dire for the teams and the cities in which they are located. I am from Columbus, Ohio (home of the Columbus Blue Jackets) - I love my Blue Jackets with all my heart, but let's be honest we aren't exactly the best team in the league. However, this year was supposed to be good for us; we were going to have a restructured team, we were going to host the NHL All-Star Weekend, and we were going to work on getting better. But as of right now we're not able to do any of that....
The fans are the ones who fuel this sport (or any sport for that matter). It's amazing what a good fan base can do for a team - I've seen it first hand at Miami. But, when the fans who spend their hard-earned money on tickets, jerseys, team paraphernalia, and hockey television channels aren't able to watch the sport it only can decrease that sport's popularity.
So can we please end the lockout before the entire season gets cancelled?
(and if not let's at least show some college *cough Miami* hockey games on the NHL Network ?)
Please and Thank You - end rant.





Isn't it crazy. When the winter classic was canceled it seemed like the season had no hope because a lot of money went down the drain then. The seasons are never the same once a lockout happens. NMU use to be played on the NHL network once and awhile I think they should play the college teams. Seriously at least we would have some hockey to watch. xx
ReplyDeleteI am sadden by the lockout. Peple that work those seasonal jobs at the arena are also suffering as well. Bars downtown in Detroit are going to be less crowded as usually. I'm from Michigan and were tasted when they canceled the winter classic. This has happened before and wish it would end soon.
ReplyDeleteIt infuriates me, especially when the issues surrounding the lockout are so ridiculous. It's so disappointing, not knowing what's going to happen or even what the situation will be a month from now. I have to say, I do like that the NHL network has aired some OHL teams (being a Canadian, I grew up and still to this day watch and follow a lot of the CHL teams). However, they really aren't putting as big of a spotlight as they should be on these CHL and university teams... it's a great opportunity to showcase up-and-coming talent.
ReplyDeleteAnyway- totally agree with all that you said.