Saturday, January 5, 2013

2013 World Junior Champions

After beating Sweden in the gold medal game in Ufa, Russia this morning the USA is now the world champions! (Sweden took silver and Russia took the bronze).

credit: www.canada.com

Two hockey players from my school (Sean Kuraly and Riley Barber) were on the team, an ex-Miami hockey player was on the team (Tyler Biggs), and my friend's younger brother (Connor Murphy) was also on the team. 

credit: Twitter.com/USAHockey

To be selected for the WJC team you have to be 19-years-old or younger as of December 31.   The team is made up of players from all around the country including both NCAA players and non-NCAA players. Therefore, it is a huge honor to be selected for the team and is a really special experience for the guys to play on a team with guys they would normally be playing against.  

credit: Yuri Kuzmin, AFP/Getty Images

I found it fun to forget what schools the guys came from and just cheer for USA as a team, (although it was a little hard for me to forget Trouba plays for U of M  ....yuck). What can I say, rivals are rivals.

2 comments:

  1. That' is awesome! I did wish I could have catches most of the games.

    I'm also happy that the lockout is over, will be a short season, but better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great news!! Thanks for sharing this information...I learned something new today! Have a great week, toodles!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make my day! Thank you so much for leaving one :)